When Europeans arrived in the Tualatin Valley, the Atfalati people created a large number of hunter-gatherer communities there. One of these communities was called Chachimahiyuk, which means “Place of Fragrant Herbs.” Wild game meat, camas root, fish, berries, elk, and nuts were the most often consumed forms of these basic foods.
The Kalapuya people practiced a method known as periodic valley floor burning to prevent the formation of forests. This tactic encouraged the development of the camas plant and offered a habitat for game animals such as deer and elk.
One of the three Kalapuyan languages, which is today known as Tualatin-Yamhill, was spoken by the Atfalati people (Northern Kalapuya). It is believed that there were up to 15,000 members of the Kalapuya tribe prior to the arrival of European explorers, traders, and missionaries in their territory.
On April 19, 1851, the Atfalati people signed a treaty to abandon their ownership of the land in return for a small reserve located close to Wapato Lake, as well as “money, clothes, blankets, tools, a few firearms, and a horse for each of their headmen—Kaicut, La Medicine, and Knolah.” At the time that the contract was made, there were a total of 65 Atfalatis. While the Atfalati lost the majority of their land as a result of the treaty, they were allowed to keep what little land they had left, which was preferable than the alternative, which was for them to be relocated east of the Cascade Mountains as the government had initially desired.
In 1886, the Emanuel Evangelical Church was constructed by an evangelical congregation. It is located south of the Tigard general store and near the base of Bull Mountain. In the 1890s, Johann Gaarde established a blacksmith shop directly across from the Tigard Store. In the same decade, a new East Butte School was constructed in order to meet the educational needs of the growing population that was caused by the immigration of German farmers.
Tigard is divided into thirteen distinct districts, each of which is based around an elementary school and is linked to the other parts of the city by a major roadway. Even though the official titles of the neighborhoods have been changed to area numbers (1-13), some of the neighborhoods have kept their previous names. For instance, Area 1 does not have a specific name assigned to it.
The moniker “Area 2,” which is also often used to refer to Summerlake Park itself, derives from the park, which served as the idea for the name. Zone 3 encompasses the historically significant neighborhood of Greenburg. Although though a significant section of Metzger lies inside unincorporated Washington County, Area 4 is frequently referred to as either North Tigard or, more broadly, as Metzger. This is despite the fact that Metzger lies entirely within Washington County. The physical formation known as the Tigard Triangle is formed at the junction of Interstate 5, Oregon State Routes 99W and 217, and U.S. Route 5.