Roofing Contractors Sandy Oregon

Sandy, Oregon is a community in Clackamas County, Oregon, United States. It was developed about the year 1853 and was called after the Sandy River, which is located nearby. The city is roughly 27 miles east of Portland and is located in the foothills of the Cascade Mountain Range. It is the western gateway to the Mount Hood Corridor and acts as an important transportation hub.

The area that is now the city of Sandy was first inhabited by people who were traveling down Barlow Road, which was one of the final stages of the Oregon Trail. At the time, the settlement was known as Revenue after its first inhabitants, Francis and Lydia Revenue.

Call us for more info to setup a bid Call Now

Sandy Oregon

Sandy Oregon

The river had previously been known as the Barings River, which was named after Sir Francis Baring, 1st Baronet, following an expedition that took place in the region in 1792. Subsequently, the city changed its name to Sandy, which is named after the Sandy River, which was named by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark in 1805.

Because there was such a large supply of timber in the surrounding region in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the local economy in Sandy was mostly built on the logging and sawmilling industries. The entrance of German immigrants in the late nineteenth century contributed to the continuous growth of the city, and in 1911, the city was legally constituted as a municipality.

The city’s population witnessed a large rise in people throughout the latter part of the 20th century, parallel with the expansion of the Portland metropolitan region as a whole.

The city has a total population of 12,612 residents as per the census completed in the year 2020. It was established in 1914 and is the location of Sandy High School, which provides education not just to the residents of Sandy but also to students from neighboring villages like Boring and the Villages of Mount Hood.

In the year 1902, Sandy welcomed its first Lutheran place of worship. The city of was officially formed on August 11, 1911, and on November 14, 1913, city voters gave their approval to the city’s charter. Friedrich Meinig, a German immigrant and merchant, arrived in Sandy in the year 1876. His son, Paul Meinig, would go on to serve as the city’s second mayor from the years 1912 through 1918.

Throughout the latter half of the nineteenth century and the early part of the twentieth century, logging and sawmilling activities were a substantial contributor to Sandy’s economy. These businesses made use of the abundant woods that surrounded the city.

A major fire broke out in the city in October 1913, and it was responsible for the destruction of a large number of buildings and places of business. Among the establishments that were consumed by the flames were a saloon, a livery stable, and a restaurant, all of which were situated on the south side of what is now known as Proctor Boulevard.

After that, a concrete structure that served as a replacement for the restaurant and bar was built, making it the first concrete building in the Sandy, Oregon area. In 1916, Sandy became the location of the first branch of the Clackamas County Bank. As of the year 2018, the bank continues to hold the title of being Oregon’s oldest community bank.

 

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)