The Kalapuya Atfalati tribe had a long history of settlement in the Tualatin Valley, close to where modern-day Hillsboro now stands. The Pacific Ocean’s moderating effect on the local temperature made it ideal for a variety of subsistence activities, including fishing, hunting, gathering, and farming. In 1842, settlers established a settlement here that would be called Hill after an Oregon state official named David Hill.
The settlement economy of Hillsboro relied in part on riverboat travel on the Tualatin. In the early 1870s, a railroad was built to the region, and around 40 years later, an interurban electric train was built. These trains and roadways supported the city’s gradual expansion, which saw its population rise from around 2,000 in 1910 to over 5,000 in 1950 until the advent of high-tech firms in the 1980s.
The city employs a total of 1,280 people: 780 permanent workers and 400 seasonal or temporary staff members. These City Agencies Are Included. This organization is made up of the following divisions: Fire and Rescue, Human Resources, Information Services, Library, Parks and Recreation, Planning, Police, Public Works, and Water.
The Hillsboro 2035 Community Plan is built with input from locals. We have a community plan called Hillsboro 2035 that was developed with input from over 5,000 locals.
The Atfalati or Tualaty tribe of the Kalapuya was the first to live in the Tualatin Valley, and they were there for as long as 10,000 years before the arrival of European immigrants. The Atfalati regularly burned the valley to keep it open and grassy, and there were just a few patches of forest around the rivers and creeks. With favorable weather, the Kalapuya would travel to new locations in search of fish, game, and edible plants. The Atfalati relied heavily on camas and wapato as staples, and they traded with Chinookan peoples living near Willamette Falls for fish.
They spent the colder months in longhouses in permanently populated communities, some of which were located close to the areas that are now Hillsboro and Beaverton. Their numbers plummeted after coming into touch with Europeans in the latter half of the 18th century, who spread diseases including smallpox, syphilis, and malaria. Just 65 Atfalati were still alive in 1851, down from an estimated 1,000 to 2,000 in 1780. The United States government relocated the remaining residents to the Grande Ronde reserve in the west in 1855.
Hillsboro’s internal grid revolves around the junction of Main Street (which travels east-west) and First Avenue (which runs north-south) in the city’s central business district. It’s common practice in the city to prefix street addresses with either a northwest, northeast, southwest, or southeast designation. Just referring to Main Street as “East” or “West” and First Avenue as “North” or “South” is standard practice. All even numerals are located on the south side of streets and the east side of avenues, whereas all odd numbers are located on the north side of streets and the west side of avenues.